[Mailman-Developers] 2.0.x qrunner bug (bad one)

Norbert Bollow nb@thinkcoach.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:35:49 +0200

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> wrote:

> [..]
>     BAW> Hmm, can't Qmail be taught to add the Date: header if it's
>     BAW> missing, like every other MTA I'm aware of?

I think that DJB's "no message munging" approach is the correct one.

(There's nothing wrong with some kinds of munging if you know what
you're doing and make sure that this munging happens only to
messages that originate from your system.  But "teaching" an MTA
to munge messages in general, without such a restriction, is a
bad idea IMO.)

> When you call qmail, if you want to add the date header, call the
> "predate" program with the path to qmail's sendmail as an argument:
>
> predate /path/to/sendmail (arguments)

This approach is not available when we pass the message to Qmail
by talking SMTP, like SMTPDirect.py does.

Let's just apply that tiny little patch and give the MTA an
RFC-compliant message, and consider the issue closed.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com