[Mailman-Developers] Proper solution to Mailman CVS's Japanese problems

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:00:42 +0900

    Tokio> There are '\'s in ISO-2022-JP (and in Shift_JIS, also) and
    Tokio> that will make headake when you want to match or search
    Tokio> within text.

I think it won't be a problem for mailman, though, because all we
want to do is:

1) display the mails for admins, when they are filtered as SPAM or
   for size

2) be able to archive the mails properly, even with an external archiver

3) not add another dependancy on kconv

I think 2) is very important, and currently all archivers I've found
that support Japanese require ISO-2022-JP.

    Tokio> Things are not easy and I am rather decided to teach
    Tokio> Japanese users to use 'standard' coding.

Yes, absolutely!  This solution does not deal with UTF-8 encoded
Japanese mail, which comes from Outlook users once in a while.. we
will have to look at that in the future.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters P and G and the number 12.
"It should be illegal to yell 'Y2K' in a crowded economy."