[Mailman-Developers] Proper solution to Mailman CVS's Japanese problems

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi@is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:28:30 +0900

Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> I had a flash of inspiration and realized the correct way to solve
> Mailman's Japanese problems once and for all.

Well,

(snip)

> The one catch is that, as ISO-2022-JP is a 7-bit medium, it can
> contain the characters <, >, and & -- even within the non-ASCII parts
> of the text.

There are '\'s in ISO-2022-JP (and in Shift_JIS, also) and that
will make headake when you want to match or search within text.

Things are not easy and I am rather decided to teach Japanese users
to use 'standard' coding.

* Use ISO-2022-JP in mail messages
* Not Shift_JIS, nor EUC-JP
* No HTML or attachments
* Hankaku is worst of all,
	because it cannot be automatically distinguished

--
Tokio