[Mailman-Developers] New Pipermail hacks (was Re: Ok, it works! ...)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 22:43:54 -0400

    MM> Just for the record, Sourceforge just hit the 16,000 lists
    MM> limit today and broke because ext2fs doesn't support more than
    MM> 32,000 links to a directory (archives/private had 32,000
    MM> archive dirs) I'm told freebsd's UFS has similar problems.

Wow, neat!  Not for you, but neat. :)

    MM> Of course, that can be fixed with Residerfs/XFS/name your FS
    MM> here or archives/private/l/li/listname{,.mbox} but my point
    MM> was that if you create a directory for each attachment, you're
    MM> going to hit the 32,000 limit very quickly.

Ah, so /that's/ why we have /home/groups/m/ma/mailman... :)

    MM> As far as I know, most FS don't handle hundreds of thousands
    MM> of files in the same dir very well, but at least they handle
    MM> it.

Don't worry, we're not talking about a directory for each attachment,
but a directory for each message with an attachment.  Hmm, maybe we
/should/ worry!  32k messages with attachments sure doesn't seem all
that many.

Hmm, have to think about it.
-Barry