[Mailman-Developers] Re: Mailman and cookies.

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:02:53 -0700

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:17:35AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> Interesting.  I wonder why you don't get a segfault.  Could be your
> platform is a bit more resilient about the corrupted memory?  Or maybe
> you /are/ segfaulting, but you've got core size limits or other
> restrictions preventing the writing of a core file.  Then your web

You are probably right.

> server catches Python's crash and turns it into a 500 error?  I forget
> what an HTTP 500 code is (and can't look it up right now).

Let's see my original report of this problem was:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2001-September/009568.html

and once I looked in my server logs and found:
[Thu Jul 12 15:47:17 2001] [error] [client 171.71.41.31] Premature end of
script headers: /var/local/mailman/cgi-bin/admin

That would be consistent with python segfaulting.

> The patch will prevent Cookie.py from trying to unpickle the seemingly
> random string stored in the cookie value.  That string isn't a pickle
> so there's no need to avail ourself of Cookie.py's, er, convenience
> here.

It seems that it will solve my problem too. Thanks.
(I won't be able to tell right away, because I can't reproduce it myself and
I only get a report of this every so often, out of thousands of list admins)

Marc