[Mailman-Developers] Re: Mailman and cookies.

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:17:35 -0400

    MM> I've the same cookie problems than chuck except that mm's
    MM> admin interface returns a 500 error (no core dump, I have
    MM> python 1.5.2)

    MM> Would that patch fix the failures in the admin script when a
    MM> bad cookie shows up?

Interesting.  I wonder why you don't get a segfault.  Could be your
platform is a bit more resilient about the corrupted memory?  Or maybe
you /are/ segfaulting, but you've got core size limits or other
restrictions preventing the writing of a core file.  Then your web
server catches Python's crash and turns it into a 500 error?  I forget
what an HTTP 500 code is (and can't look it up right now).

When bad cookie data shows up, you obviously won't be able to log in.

The patch will prevent Cookie.py from trying to unpickle the seemingly
random string stored in the cookie value.  That string isn't a pickle
so there's no need to avail ourself of Cookie.py's, er, convenience
here.

-Barry