[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-checkins] CVS: mailman/messages Makefile.in,2.1,2.2

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 29 May 2001 14:45:07 +0200

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 05:06:49AM -0700, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Re-BSDify the Makefiles, by not expecting make to expand '{eggs,ham}' in
> globs. (BSD 'make' does not, GNU make does.) I'm sure there is a more
> satisfying way to do this, but in this case, with only two alternatives in
> only two cases, just writing them out was the way of least resistance.

Ugh. I now see that there are a lot more things BSD make barfs over:

GNU make:
mailman/messages$ gmake es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo
[ pygettext and other stuff snipped ]
Generating binary catalog
msgfmt -o es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po

BSD make:
mailman/messages$ make es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo
msgfmt -o es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo
es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo:1: parse error
es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo:2: keyword "e" unknown
es/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo:4: keyword "W" unknown

Apparently, GNU make and BSD make switch the meaning of $@ and $< in:
        msgfmt -o $@ $<

And there's more, there, too. As usual for Makefile/make bugs, they're hard
to reproduce, depending as they are on the timestamps of seemingly totally
irrelevant files :) I think it's safe to say that BSD make doesn't grok the
'%/LC_MESSAGES/*' construct, though. I don't have a good GNU/BSD make
resource at hand to help me through the differences; if anyone sees such a
resource online, please let me know ;) In the mean time, Barry, if this
isn't fixed before an almost-real release, we'll either have to ship .po
files, or insist on GNU make (which is available almost everywhere, even on
BSD systems, though usually as 'gmake' there.) The installation procedure
works with BSD make now that I regenerated the .po files with GNU make.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>