[Mailman-Developers] site-wide list configuration...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 10:18:16 -0700

Just as a bit of an FYI -- I've mentioned in the past that I'd like the
ability to "lock down" certain list configuration options based on
site-wide standard. Having this feature has become more interesting to
me, since I just has a 'situation' where it would have been really
useful.

I had a list admin decide he wanted to change reply-to to the list.
This, despite being told not to change things. So he did. And it got
involved in a situation where stuff was posted to the list (by me, in
fact) that shouldn't have been because the list was configured different
than everything else on the system. And that led to the "why can't we
have this?" fight, and it led to a private argument with the list admin
(who actually changed it twice), and all sorts of unhappiness.

And one of his arguments, of course, was "if you don't want this
changed, why do the pages let me"?

Don't worry, my hair will grow back. Well, maybe.

But take this as a real-world case where splitting out content admin
from list admin from site admin and allowing the folks higher up in the
hierarchy to delegate or freeze what sub-admins can do. Because while
it's nice to think everyone will play nice and follow instructions, in
the real world, it doesn't always happen.

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of
Karma to burn off.