[Mailman-Developers] InSTALL questions...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Tue, 8 May 2001 09:51:40 -0400

    CVR> Barry, I'm upgrading to 2.0.5, and a couple of thoughts...

    CVR> In the INSTALL file:

    CVR>     You must have the Python interpreter installed somewhere
    CVR> on your system.  Currently Python 1.5.2 or later is required
    CVR> (Python 2.0 should work fine).  For information about
    CVR> obtaining Python source code, RPM packages, or pre-compiled
    CVR> binaries please see:

    CVR> Do you want to now recommend Python 2.0 over 1.5.2? Or say
    CVR> something more definitive than "should work fine"? Isn't 2.0
    CVR> the recommended version now?

I'd /recommend/ Python 2.0 or 2.1, but for the Mailman 2.0.x series
only Python 1.5.2 is required.  It's getting harder and harder to work
with the Mailman 2.0.x codebase, but I still don't want to force
people to upgrade their Python just to get the next micro maintenance
release of Mailman.  Python 2.0 will definitely be required for
Mailman 2.1 and there's a slim chance I'll require Python 2.1 (but
doubtful).   Still, I should clarify this in the INSTALL, README, and
UPGRADING.

    CVR> There's a similar comment in README

    CVR> The UPGRADING file stops at 2.0.2. It probably makes sense to
    CVR> add a "if you're upgrading from any 2.0 release...."

    CVR> Looks good so far...

Thanks,
-Barry