[Mailman-Developers] Explanation required after upgrade to 2.0.5

Richard Ellerbrock richarde@eskom.co.za
Tue, 08 May 2001 09:46:51 +0200

I have just upgraded mailman from 1.1 to 2.0.5 - everything went smoothly, =
but I have some minor issues though.

1) When the news gate service tries to connect to a down NNTP server, ugly =
messages are logged in the error log. Maybe the fact should rather just be =
logged in the fromusenet log? Here is an example:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 222, in ?
    main()
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 203, in main
    process_lists(lock)
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 148, in process_lists
    conn, first, last =3D open_newsgroup(mlist)
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 75, in open_newsgroup
    password=3Dmm_cfg.NNTP_PASSWORD)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib/nntplib.py", line 111, in __init__
    self.sock.connect((self.host, self.port))
socket.error: (111, 'Connection refused')

2) I get another funny error also from the news gateway. I cannot explain =
it though:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 222, in ?
    main()
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 203, in main
    process_lists(lock)
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 148, in process_lists
    conn, first, last =3D open_newsgroup(mlist)
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 75, in open_newsgroup
    password=3Dmm_cfg.NNTP_PASSWORD)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib/nntplib.py", line 114, in __init__
    self.welcome =3D self.getresp()
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib/nntplib.py", line 180, in getresp
    resp =3D self.getline()
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib/nntplib.py", line 172, in getline
    if not line: raise EOFError
EOFError

3) Something is funny with bounce detection. My test list has the =
following bounce options:

Minimum number of posts to the list since members first
   bounce before we consider removing them from the list =3D 3

Action when critical or excessive bounces are detected =3D Remove and =
notify me

The list also requires post approval from the moderator

I get this in the log when sending a couple of message to the list with a =
bogus address that I added manually:

May 07 17:41:00 2001 (8803) Test: kajshd@eskom.co.za - first
May 08 09:01:01 2001 (29662) Test: kajshd@eskom.co.za - 1 more allowed =
over 376799 secs
May 08 09:01:01 2001 (29662) Test: kajshd@eskom.co.za - 1 more allowed =
over 376799 secs
May 08 09:15:01 2001 (32675) Test: kajshd@eskom.co.za - 0 more allowed =
over 375958 secs
May 08 09:24:01 2001 (2018) Test: kajshd@eskom.co.za - 0 more allowed over =
375418 secs

I don't understand the sequence of numbers - why 0 0 then 1 1? The address =
does not get removed after three failures. I have sent more tests and they =
all say 0 more allowed - what gives?

--
Richard Ellerbrock
richarde@eskom.co.za