[Mailman-Developers] Rotating Logs with Mailman

Joshua Erdman josh@ernestallen.com
Mon, 7 May 2001 16:56:44 -0700

Since installing Mailman I have noticed the size of my backups increasing
steadily.  I did some investigating and noticed the size of the log file in
the mailman/logs directory.  By adding a few lines of code to your
/etc/logrotate.conf file you can have these log files rotated just like all
the log files in /var/logs

Some quick info about the /etc/logrotate.conf file
At the top are the global settings with a comment for each one
Mine had:

-- Beginning of lines added to logrotate.conf --
# rotate log files weekly
weekly

# keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs
rotate 4

# e-mail errors to root
errors root

# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones with the same
# security settings as the ones already rotated.
create

"/home/mailman/logs/post" {
}

"/home/mailman/logs/smtp" {
compress
}

"/home/mailman/logs/smtp-failure" {
}

"/home/mailman/logs/subscribe" {
}

"/home/mailman/logs/bounce" {
}

"/home/mailman/logs/vette" {
}

"/home/mailman/logs/qrunner" {
}

"/home/mailman/logs/error" {
}

"/home/mailman/logs/digest" {
}

--End logrotate.conf

If you have any questions about setting up logrotate or extra features, look
at your man pages.

Joshua Erdman
Ernest & Allen, Inc.
CIO/Network Systems Administrator