[Mailman-Developers] empty digests

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Mon, 7 May 2001 23:37:10 +0200

I finally got a bit of time to respond to this thread...

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 10:41:21AM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> > > Anyway my point is that now I'm getting some complaints from members about
> > > receiving empty digests (it only says the number of posts which should be in
> > > there) I'm not sure yet what they are missing but I was wondering if I
> > > could have messed things about by interrupting the process w/o a m.Save()?
> > uh oh please don't tell me that when mailman sends out digests, they travel through the
> > /etc/aliases addresses cause that would mean a neat little perl script I
> It depends on the delivery method you chose. If you use the Sendmail module,
> it'll probably pass it through /etc/aliases. If you use the SMTP module and
> the localhost as delivery point, it'll pass through /etc/aliases too. It's
> damned easy to test, though: disable the filter, make a new digest list,
> subscribe yourself to it, and mail ;)

After a few days I have to conclude that the problem is probably on the
client side... I'm using the SMTPDirect/localhost but the MIME digests
are NOT filtered out by the perl script (I changed my own subscription from
plain to digest and it arrives perfectly in my mailbox)... One of the
complaints was from somebody using an Hotmail account but I doubt that
hotmail could have any problems with mime digest (I don't really feel like
trying it out with hotmail myself... as a list admin you develop a certain hate
feeling towards unreliable erm... free email services ;-( )

OTH I was just thinking that some users are not smart enough to notice that
the actual messages are at the bottom of the message as a bunch of icons or
whatever way their email client displays mime digest... wouldn't surprise me
to be honest...

Regards,

Ricardo

--
International Janet Jackson fanclub called MISS JANET.
For more information write to: