[Mailman-Developers] Re: To VERP or not to VERP?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:50:23 -0700

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:58:58 +0200
fil  <fil@rezo.net> wrote:

> On my setup (postfix) there's a heavy use of the
> /etc/postfix/transport feature, that redirects all domains with
> which I have a problem (like those that are not always accepting
> mail I send) to a slave machine that is very near (in terms of
> bandwidth) the first one.

Back when I used to do this under Exim by parsing the mainlog for
messages which arrived long before their delivery time.  Given a
frequent high enough score on this, I'd then do a domain route to a
similar Bad Mail box.

It was nice to automate it.  No attention required.

> It reduces A LOT the disk problems (mostly mailqueue becoming very
> heavy) -- maybe I should continue this way with more domains being
> handled to slave machine(s).

Did you have any automated way to collect and maintain the slow MX
list?  One thing I never did was to implement a system to rescind
the "slow" verdict on MXes should they come back to life for a
reasonable period.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows