[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: MIME messages

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:48:52 -0700

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:49:01 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> On Friday, June 8, 2001, at 10:21 AM, Darrell Fuhriman wrote:
>> J C Lawrence <claw@kanga.nu> writes:

>>> baggage than I consider justifiable for an MLM or for sites
>>> which have no other reason (or wish) to run Zope.

>> I couldn't agree more.  Zope is a very complex piece of software
>> that I have no use for on my site, and no wish to maintain.

> There are very good reasons for doing someething like this,
> especially for those crazy people like me trying to integrate
> mailman into a larger, integrated environment.  But the point is a
> good one -- this stuff should be optional, so people running
> "lake-witchita- friends@witchita.org" don't need to hire someone
> like me to install mailman..

There's also the small fact that the environment one is integrating
into may be (is in my case) Zope unfriendly.  Requiring Zope would
require me to move away from other designs I'd much rather not.

> The default should be simple and straightforward -- and the key is
> to build interfaces and APIs that allow users to plug in
> replacement modules for functionality...

Quite.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows