[Mailman-Developers] Another big batch of checkins coming

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:13:13 -0400

    TW> Very cool! I haven't gotten any of this to work yet <wink>,
    TW> but my hopes are a bit better after the fixes I checked in and
    TW> the better fixes you checked in, Barry :)

:)

I've been seriously thinking about sticking a fork in 2.1 sooner
rather than later, i.e. moving it to beta and stop adding new
features.  I was updating this page:

http://www.zope.org/Members/bwarsaw/MailmanDesignNotes/MailmanTwoDotOne

and recognized that most of the items on the list are marked as done.
There are a few on that list that I definitely want to defer until
MM2.2/3.0, most notably the de-MIME filters and the themes/cascading
permissions idea.  This will let me keep my promise of a last alpha in
the July/August timeframe.  Then I can concentrate on docs and bug
fixing for a hopeful release September/October-ish.

I plan to work on the confirmation stuff, and probably integrate that
into the held message/held subscription stuff.  I also want to do some
work on the messages that admins get for holds.  Any anything else on
the design notes page that isn't explicitly marked Done or Deferred.
There may be a few small ones in the TODO list that I'd like to tackle
too.  But primarily I want to work on getting an I18N version of
Mailman out the door RSN.

    TW> I really like the topic filter idea, and I *love* the
    TW> membership adaptor idea (as I've said before; we need it at
    TW> work :)

Indeed!

    TW> Once 2.1 stabilizes enough for me to run it on an office
    TW> server for a few office lists, I'll see about making a generic
    TW> SQL adaptor, since we need to pull some info out of MySQL and
    TW> PostgresSQL databases.

Very cool.

    TW> Have you got any other sponsored work lying around, Barry ?
    TW> Like, say, a good archiver ? :-)

Nope, but all offers are welcome!

bring-your-checkbook-thomas-ly y'rs,
-Barry