[Mailman-Developers] two thoughts on the archiver

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:29:37 -0500

    DF> In 2.0.1 pipermail.py takes any user-included Reply-To header
    DF> and uses that the address of the sender in the archives.

    DF> In other words, if I post a message to list that looks like
    DF> this:

    | Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:03:03 -0800 (PST)
    | From: Darrell Fuhriman <darrell@grumblesmurf.net>
    | Subject: something really neat!
    | To: moderated-list@grumblesmurf.net

    DF> in the Archives, this gets re-written to be:

    DF> Darrell Fuhriman <mailto:not-moderated-list@grumblesmurf.net>

    DF> I maintain that this behavior is incorrect.

Agreed.

    DF> For instance, I just started a moderated, announce-only list.
    DF> I would like to give the poster the option of redirecting
    DF> followups for discussion to another list.

    DF> I'm happy to write a patch to change the behavior, but I'd
    DF> like to know what folks think the correct behavior should be.

I think that it should use the address provided in the From: line.  A
patch would be great.

    DF> I think that including the Reply-To as a separate header is
    DF> the appropriate thing to do, but I'm soliciting other
    DF> opinions.

    DF> Secondly, archiving is a big old pig and slows down list
    DF> processing.  Would it be possible to re-write the code so that
    DF> the archiver forks off?  Once again, I'm willing to do it, but
    DF> I want to make sure that people will be happy with the design.

No need.  Things are going to be much different in 2.1.  Archiving is
no longer in the critical path for general list delivery.

-Barry