[Mailman-Developers] two thoughts on the archiver

Darrell Fuhriman darrell@grumblesmurf.net
26 Feb 2001 14:24:40 -0800

In 2.0.1 pipermail.py takes any user-included Reply-To header and
uses that the address of the sender in the archives.

In other words, if I post a message to list that looks like this:

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:03:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Darrell Fuhriman <darrell@grumblesmurf.net>
Subject: something really neat!
To: moderated-list@grumblesmurf.net

in the Archives, this gets re-written to be:

Darrell Fuhriman <mailto:not-moderated-list@grumblesmurf.net>

I maintain that this behavior is incorrect.

For instance, I just started a moderated, announce-only list.  I
would like to give the poster the option of redirecting followups
for discussion to another list.

I'm happy to write a patch to change the behavior, but I'd like
to know what folks think the correct behavior should be.

I think that including the Reply-To as a separate header is the
appropriate thing to do, but I'm soliciting other opinions.

Secondly, archiving is a big old pig and slows down list
processing.  Would it be possible to re-write the code so that
the archiver forks off?  Once again, I'm willing to do it, but I
want to make sure that people will be happy with the design.

Darrell