[Mailman-Developers] latest checkins

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:39:29 -0500

    RJ> w.r.t the comment about long term solutions, wouldn't the
    RJ> right move be for 2.1 to install an en directory, and load it
    RJ> with the english files?

Probably so.

    RJ> I would presume that mailman will ship, eventually, with all
    RJ> the various language files that are contributed back, so why
    RJ> should en be any different?  That way there's no real need to
    RJ> special case, since the install porocedure will correctly
    RJ> build the directory.

I'm not sure I want to ship other languages with the base Mailman
distro.  There are three reasons.  First, the language catalogs will
increase the size of the distro, although it that may not be big
enough to matter.  Second, and more important, is that the language
catalogs may have a different release schedule than the core system.
I.e. new languages will be donated and existing languages will be
updated on the translator's time frame.  I'd like to not tie language
specifics to the core system.  Third, I think very few sites are going
to need all the available languages.  I can certainly see that many
sites will need one, perhaps two languages, but not all.

I'm not 100% on this though, so convincing arguments are welcome!  But
right now I see shipping the core Mailman distro with English support
only, but making it extremely simple to download and install a new
language.

-Barry