[Mailman-Developers] ZMailman 2.1 preview

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:09:16 -0600

At 12:36 AM 12/10/2001 -0500, barry@zope.com wrote:
>We (Pythonlabs) are taking over more responsibilities for the
>development of ZODB, especially w.r.t. ZODB4, the next generation.
>The idea is to componentize things enough so that we can provide a
>basic persistence service in standard Python, while parts like the
>transaction mechanism and the storages can all be pluggable.  ZODB3
>already goes a long way here, and we will soon have a standalone ZODB
>release that requires none of Zope (or at least provides the parts of
>Zope you need).  ZODB4 will be completely independent of Zope, and
>should provide robust, transactional persistent storage for any Python
>application.  This may even become part of the standard library for
>Python 2.3.

Uhhh, that sounds exciting!!!! :-)

>Now, whether Mailman 3.0 will be organized around a set of API that
>hide ZODB, and ZODB lives underneath those APIs, or whether it's
>defined in terms of ZODB and external storages like LDAP are hooked in
>through ZODB's interfaces remains to be seen.  I tend to the think the
>former will be best from an evolutionary standpoint.

I agree.

>In any event it
>is a "requirement" that Mailman play nice with existing systems, web,
>authentication, etc., just like it plays nice with many different
>MTAs, web servers, and web browsers today.

Yes, I think that should be definitely priority #1.

>I likely wouldn't require
>ZODB unless it was provided by a standard, required version of Python.

Interesting. That would make your first approach above not possible.

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter