[Mailman-Developers] ZMailman 2.1 preview

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:19:35 -0500

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 10:22:33PM -0600, Stephan Richter wrote:
> At 11:10 PM 12/9/2001 -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > > I don't understand Zope; can someone describe why I might want this,
> > > what it buys me, etc. (like a sales brochure)?
> >
> >It doesn't necessarily buy you anything, unless you already need Zope.
>
> Right, ZMailman is not for people not using Zope. However, it makes the
> integration of Mailing List functionality into your Web Site so easy, that
> I thought some of you might be interested.

Ok, good; I'm glad I pegged it.  I'm one of those -- I propose to use
Zope to build a bunch o'websites that are on my plate; I'll need this
integration.

Will it integrate directly with UserFolders, so users can do their
mailing list stuff on their home page?

> >This was more for Zopatistas who need to run mailing lists, rather than
> >Mailman people, not that it isn't a cool hack.
>
> Yes, and I think quite some people need that. Just looking at all these CMS
> and community sites...

You bet.

> >I think I like Zope, too; I just can't get it to stand still long
> >enough to learn it.  Maybe I'm getting old...
>
> Well, try to get into Zope 3.0, which is being built at the moment. It
> makes use of the latest development and design patterns, so it is good to
> look at it in anyway, whether you are interested in Zope or not.

Alas all the books are still 2.2/2.4ish.  Any decent non-zoo tutorials?
(WADR to whomever wrote that particular tutorial track, it stinks.)

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")