[Mailman-Developers] ZMailman 2.1 preview

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 20:48:47 -0600

> > Think a semi-OO based PHP setup where the OO as[ects extended not
> > only to the internal language, but also to the construction of page
> > elements and templates, and of course, instead of using PHP, use
> > Python and much more cleanly abstracted DB interface.  Probably the
> > biggest other difference is that Zope natievly works off a single
> > unified store rather than the filesystem.
>
>..... riiiighhht..... <g>
>
>So what does that mean?  For those of us no-zopers! :-)

Alright, I guess I have to give some more context here:

Originally the ZODB saves all its objects into one big file, basically a
pickle. This way it does not have to worry about FS-based security and
Object storage, but can do it all by itself; also it supports transactions,
versioning and so on... However, some people think this 1 file storage is a
bad thing. Therefore ZC developed several new storage types, such as
OracleStorage and BerkleyDBStorage on which Barry Warsaw is actually
working, so he will be able to give you much more detail than I can.

I think you should just take 5 minutes and install Zope on your system and
see it yourself; many of the concepts will become immediately obvious to an
experienced Python programmer.

Regards,
Stephan

--