[Mailman-Developers] MM Bouncer

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:48:50 -0500

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 08:45:38AM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> > If I'm sending 100 copies to @aol.com, without VERP, I send the message
> > once.
>
> Not true. You send it 100/SMTP_MAX_RCPTS times (rounded up, of course). So
> if your SMTP_MAX_RCPTS is set to ten, you send it ten times.

Right, of course...

> > With VERP, I have to send it 100 times.
>
> Unless the MTA does the VERP for you,

Well, see, here's the thing.  That *still* doesn't unload the *wire*,
just the MLM.

>                                       but in the scheme of things, I think
> we look at the wrong solution if we only look at VERP. It solves a problem,
> but not the entire class of problems -- instead of thinking VERP, think
> about per-user custom e-mail, since you not only can put in the stuff VERP
> does, but also a lot of good user-experience stuff, like a url that takes
> the user to the listinfo page AND brings up his user record in one click.
>
> When you start looking beyond 'just' VERP to what you can do to improve mail
> lsits for the end user, especially the less technical ones, it starts being
> a lot more interesting. And once you start adding in this functionality, you
> can bring along VERP basically for free, whether or not you use a
> VERP-capable MTA.

At the expense of loading the wire, the MTA, *and* the MLM.

How big are your lists, Chuq?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")