[Mailman-Developers] MM Bouncer

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:45:38 -0800

On 12/6/01 8:03 AM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

> If I'm sending 100 copies to @aol.com, without VERP, I send the message
> once.

Not true. You send it 100/SMTP_MAX_RCPTS times (rounded up, of course). So
if your SMTP_MAX_RCPTS is set to ten, you send it ten times.

> With VERP, I have to send it 100 times.

Unless the MTA does the VERP for you, but in the scheme of things, I think
we look at the wrong solution if we only look at VERP. It solves a problem,
but not the entire class of problems -- instead of thinking VERP, think
about per-user custom e-mail, since you not only can put in the stuff VERP
does, but also a lot of good user-experience stuff, like a url that takes
the user to the listinfo page AND brings up his user record in one click.

When you start looking beyond 'just' VERP to what you can do to improve mail
lsits for the end user, especially the less technical ones, it starts being
a lot more interesting. And once you start adding in this functionality, you
can bring along VERP basically for free, whether or not you use a
VERP-capable MTA.

FWIW...