[Mailman-Developers] Re: [ZMailman] Development Plan

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:31:27 -0500

    SR> 3. First I plan to integrate the data structures, since this
    SR> will save us from rewriting the management screens.

One other thing you need to decide: will you support backwards
compatibility, or an upgrade path for existing Mailman installations?

That's going to be very tricky, so perhaps you should not worry about
it for now.  One example: each list has its own notions of a "user
account", keyed off the address.  How do you merge the accounts for
each user?  There might be 7 different passwords, 3 different delivery
settings, and all the options might be different.  You'll need to
eventually support this level of user configurability anyway.

Another tricky bit: users should be able to associate multiple email
addresses with their account, and select which ones receive email for
which lists.  All should be valid for posting purposes though, and
there ought to be some failover when bounces are detected.

But maybe that's for later.
-Barry