[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Bounce Options

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:27:25 -0500

    DN> Your scheme makes sense--I like the idea that subscribers can
    DN> wind up "on probation" (assuming the list admin configures the
    DN> list that way).  I understand that this simplifying assumption
    DN> makes the design much easier to think through.  As a list
    DN> admin, though, I'd like to be able to throw a switch that
    DN> causes Mailman to completely ignore non-fatal bounces
    DN> (Assuming it's possible to distinguish between them, which is
    DN> maybe the can of worms you were trying to avoid opening).

I'm not sure it always /is/ possible to distinguish them, especially
if you add VERP into the mix.  AFAICT, that's the one flaw with VERP.
With bounce detection at least you have a wild-ass chance of
distinguishing permanent from temporary failures (e.g. DSN).

My simplification assumes that temporary failures really /are/
temporary!  I think my approach is robust in the face of probably the
most common temporary failure I see as a list admin: a user running
out of disk space for a period of several days or a week.  Once they
get a clue and free up some room, and deliveries start to succeed, I
want them to get off probation.  Ideally automatically, but as a
failsafe, by the probation notices.

-Barry