[Mailman-Developers] Versions (was: Preventing spam to list admins.)

Jeb Bateman jeb@ocha.net
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:46:39 -0700

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 11:01:06PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> I really really really want to get the next release out as soon as
> possible.  I don't want a decision to call this thing MM3.0 to mean a
> delay in the release schedule.  But truth-in-advertising makes me
> think it really should be called 3.0.  OTOH, will that deter too many
> people from upgrading?  Sigh, I don't know.  Opinions?

Would it would be feasible to create a new CVS branch for 2.1,
starting from the latest 2.0.x release, and merge important changes
from the current development branch into it??  Then the current
development branch would indeed become 3.0, sometime ;-)

Perhaps 2.1 could be pushed out more quickly this way, with only bug
fixes, and non-disruptive features such as the new patch to optionally
suppress duplicate messages (which I read was once implemented by the
original Mailman author but was lost in a hard disk crash long ago).

I remember reading on the wiki the main feature advertised for 3.0 was
a site wide user database, to hold one password per user.  For 2.1 I
could live without the long running qrunner, and the new aliases and
role hacks; which could be potentially disruptive to upgrades...

Also a quick bug report...  Email addresses are case sensitive when
sending out password reminders in v2.0.  If someone is subscribed as
john@doe.org on one list, and John@Doe.org on another, he will get two
reminder messages from the same host, since Mailman considers these to
be different subscriber addresses.  I will try to fix it and create a
patch for 2.0.x, unless this behavior is intentional for some reason?

Thanks,
-jeb