[Mailman-Developers] Preventing spam to list admins.

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:30:37 -0700

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:47:39 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> Worse -- much as we find this stuff disgusting and want to shoot
> these people, we can't assume it's actualy illegal to do so. And
> it's an interesting question; even if it's illegal where you are,
> what does that mean to someone in, oh, Taiwan. Or Malaysia?

> So -- while at one level you're correct, in practice, we need a
> solution that deals with the problem now. And that means building
> walls with a gate, and a nice, burly guard making sure they check
> the ID before opening the door, because if we wait for the war to
> be outlawed and the army to be disbanded, we'll die of old age
> (and do so as a serf of the other side...)

If you aren't doing it now, start praying and agitating for
widespread deployment of IPv6.  Why?  Because with IPv6 comes
widespread PKI infrastructures, and with that the major thing that's
holding back SMTP/TLS (other than admin intransigence).  If each MTA
would stamp a TLS-based hash in its received line which can be
auth'ed against that domain's certificate....  From there let human
nature take over.

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.