[Mailman-Developers] Handling Bouncebacks

Norbert Bollow nb@thinkcoach.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:11:14 +0200

> > Yes.  Qmail always uses single message envelopes.
>
> Can it be configured *NOT* to?

I'm pretty sure that this is not possible.

> > In the Qmail world, smarthosting for mailing list traffic is
> > normally implemented with Ezmlm, in a way that is more efficient
> > than what you can done in any way with SMTP-based smarthosting.
>
> Which is not necessarily the point.  With ISP's blocking outbound
> SMTP traffic and thereby forcing use of their smarthosts along with
> corporate network infrastructures and security models effectively
> ending at the same spot, the ability to use multi-address envelopes
> can be critical.  I'm curious if this is a corner which Qmail is
> incapable is satisfying.

Hmm... you're probably right about that.  Qmail is probably not
a good choice in that kind of situation.  But then, does one
really have to put up with an ISP which blocks outbound SMTP
traffic?  I wouldn't. :-)

But my point remains: *If* the MTA is Qmail, *then* using VERPs
will not introduce any significant overhead of any kind.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com