[Mailman-Developers] edit moderated messages?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:19:11 -0700

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:17:54 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> Not an x-header, definitely.

Why not?  I can see why not exclusively, but why not in general?

> And I think putting it in the subject line is wrong, also.

Agreed.

> I'd suggest simply putting a [message edited by moderator] in line
> 1 of the message body.

I have a slight problem: For one of my lists I edit every single
message.  I reflow/wrap quotes and text to margins, I respace quotes
characters, I trim attributions and signatures, I collapse TABs,
etc.  In the vast majority of cases I don't actually change the
text, other than its formatting, at all.  In those cases while I
wouldn't mind the X-Header, I would mind the in-message blob.
Conversely, I would and do want the in-message blob when I do larger
edits ala quote trimming, large text editing/removal, etc.

>> For #2, I can see two approaches.  Either support only via-email
>> editing, or reorganize the admindb page so that you can limit the
>> total number of messages it displays (and thus the size of the
>> page, even given some big messages).

> Add another button -- "edit", which brings up a page where you can
> edit that message, when when you save it, takes you back to the
> current admindb page.  You'd have to worry about state on other
> messages (if you have already clicked discard or approve, you
> don't want to lose it), but otherwise, it's pretty straight
> forward.

I like.

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.