[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.0 usage notes...

chuq von rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:02:24 -0700

On Tuesday, April 10, 2001, at 01:47  PM, chuq von rospach wrote:

> This creates some interesting race conditions, where an item is added
> to the queue and never comes out

A way to minimize this, by the way, are to tweak the values:

QRUNNER_PROCESS_LIFETIME
QRUNNER_MAX_MESSAGES

in mm_cfg.py (see Defaults.py for their definitions).

By default, they're 15 minutes and 300. That means qrunner quits 4 times
an hour, even if the queue isn't done, or after processing 300 messages.
So if you have a queue that files to, oh, 450 messages, the first 300
get processed (or less), and as they're processing, the deleted files
are replaced with new ones in the directory inode, and then qrunner
quits and starts over. Whatever's over that highwater mark is basically
stuck in the queue until the system goes idle, and if it never quite
goes idle -- you're hosed.

I've changed mind to 30 minutes and a MAX of 0 (disabling that check),
so that it'll run with as few quits and interruptions as possible, the
idea being you want it to process deep into your queue. You can't set
LIFETIME too high without risking a hung qrunner taking out the system
indefinitely, and if you make it too long, you'll need to tweak other
lockfile values (see Defaults.py, if you need any of this, you should be
able to figure out which ones need to be tweaked...)

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

I tried to get a life once, but they were out of stock.