[Mailman-Developers] Re: Patch: Optionally Suppressing List Headers - v2

Darrell Fuhriman darrell@grumblesmurf.net
06 Apr 2001 11:21:25 -0700

chuq von rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> writes:

> These are standards. I think any patch to remove them ought to be
> rejected, the documentation ought to explicitly discourge people from
> removing them, and the source code ought to have a note in it
> recommending against removing them. We want to encourage adoption of
> the standard, not removal of the header lines.

I agree with everything but the first clause (and I was the one
that wrote the patch to implement it.)

The RFC specifically says that the headers are optional
(paragraph 2 section 1 of the RFC.), and I personally believe in
giving people options where available.

Just because it's probably a bad idea doesn't mean we should be
restrictive on things are not mandated.  This is already what's
done with the optional Reply-To header, for example.

If I wanted software that told me that I had to do it the
software's (or the software author's) way and no other, I would
just use ezmlm.

I don't like software that second guesses my decisions, and I see
no compelling reason to be second guessing others' decisions
here.

I say make it optional, but strongly discourage turning it off.

Darrell