[Mailman-Developers] Re: Patch: Optionally Suppressing List Headers - v2

chuq von rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:02:27 -0700

On Thursday, April 5, 2001, at 10:45  AM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> I'm currently opposed to making it easy to disable these headers.
> They are described in RFC 2369 and I think it's important for Mailman
> to be as standards compliant as possible.

These are standards. I think any patch to remove them ought to be
rejected, the documentation ought to explicitly discourge people from
removing them, and the source code ought to have a note in it
recommending against removing them. We want to encourage adoption of the
standard, not removal of the header lines.

In fact, I'd go further, if it were my project. I'd put it in the FAQ
that we do not support removal of the headers, and I'd make it list
policy to not support anyone who wants to. If they want to, let them.
We're under no obligation to make it easy in any way, and I think in the
long-run, doing anything that in any way approves of (even by
implication of putting an unsuipported  patch somewhere in the disto) is
the wrong thing.

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

   To the optimist, the glass is half full.
   To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
   To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.