[Mailman-Developers] Patch: Optionally Suppressing List Headers

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:19:35 -0400

    JRA> You're saying that a list object *wraps* a database, then.
    JRA> If so, yeah, the object sure as hell *ought* to deal with
    JRA> that issue itself.

    JRA> Careful how you use the word "databases"... I *think* you
    JRA> actually *mean* "records" (or rows), but I'm not sure.

Not quite.

Okay, I'm being a little bit abstract, but bear with me.  Eventually
<wink> list objects will be backed by a Real Database (and some folks
have already prototyped this).

Concretely, Mailman currently stores a MailList instance's attributes
in a file whose format is a Python marshal of a Python dictionary.
This is the config.db file and is essentially what I'm talking about
when I say "schema" since it serves the same purpose, although it's
not explicitly described, e.g. as it would be in a traditional
relational database.  Nonetheless, if you change the MailList object's
attributes (add or delete) you need to update this implicit schema in
the ways I've described.

Cheers,
-Barry