[Mailman-Developers] Patch: Optionally Suppressing List Headers

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:09:58 -0400

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 07:32:58PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     JRA> That comment troubles me.  Isn't the point of object oriented
>     JRA> design pretty precisely to avoid the need for such comments?
>
> The issue here is that in essence the patch is changing the schema for
> the list configuration database.  In that case you have two choices:
>
>     - You can run an external tool off-line that walks over all the
>       databases and updates their schemas.  This is essentially what
>       Peter is suggesting you do with config_list.
>
>     - You can update the schema "on the fly" as you load each new
>       database.  This is the approach favored, and used, by Mailman.

You're saying that a list object *wraps* a database, then.  If so,
yeah, the object sure as hell *ought* to deal with that issue itself.

Careful how you use the word "databases"... I *think* you actually
*mean* "records" (or rows), but I'm not sure.

Cheer,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink