[Mailman-Developers] Sender field

Jesper Jensen jj-list@mail.dk
Sun, 01 Apr 2001 23:08:15 +0200

Why is the 'sender' header field set to the list admin address?
E.g.: Sender: mailman-developers-admin@python.org

I'm asking because I haven't seen this elsewhere.
Elsewhere being LISTSERV and eGroups.

I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't because Outlook 2000 (maybe
other versions) shows this information as the 'from' address in the preview
pane separator.
This is probably a flaw in Outlook - I don't know - maybe it's on purpose.
The "correct" 'from' address is shown elsewhere in the program.

Anyway, back to my question, is Mailman doing this to conform with some
rfc, or would it be safe to either remove the 'sender' header field og
simply insert the "correct" 'from' address instead?

All the best,
Jesper.