[Mailman-Developers] mod_layout?

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:51:54 +0200

Hi!

> >  > has anyone tried to use mod_layout or one of the templating systems
> >
> >I wonder how mod_layout differs from the normal SSI stuff ;-)
>
> it's configured at the apache level, doesn't require mucking individual files.

So it simply copies stuff before and behind the individual html file?

> >I actually would prefer some mailman solution.
>
> So would I, but this would be a nice way to get it working *now*. I'm
> trying to go production on a server in the next week, and I'd really
> like to have my mailman pages in the graphic look of my sites --
> except mailman has to deal with three virtual sites, and so just
> hacking in a header/footer into mailman won't solve the problem.

Sure for right now it seems the best solution.
What's the problem with header/footer as long as they are different lists?
Couldn't these simply be stored in a list specific directory as it's done
partially even right now?
(One problem with moving to some templating system was also back then that
some HTML output was hardcoded in Python. This would need to be changed for
it to work of course.)

With Zope all this seems to be a little more work as the html management
screens would then be outside the actual Mailman package, so e.g. a new
instance of these screens for a new list could not be generated that easily
by the Mailman package itself. Thus it might be some separate package which
must be configured to use the specific list..

Anyway, I will maybe think of it a little more and test things out when
time permits it..

cheers,
  Christian

--