[Mailman-Developers] internal mail archiver/htdig integration

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:08:13 -0400 (EDT)

    RB> In commissioning Mailman I needed to provide a per mail list
    RB> search facility which fully honored private list access
    RB> constraints (i.e. if the use cannot read it then do not tell
    RB> him it even exists in search results). In implementing this I
    RB> have made some changes to the mailman-2.0beta5 source. What I
    RB> have done is hardly rocket-science.  That said it would be
    RB> good for me if the work was integrated with the standard
    RB> releases of Mailman so I do not have to keep applying my own
    RB> unique patches to any subsequent releases. I don't know the
    RB> protocol for doing this nor whether other developers think my
    RB> work is worth incorporating into the mainline of Mailman's
    RB> code. I've outlined the changes below and would appreciate
    RB> some advice. btw: If there's a better way to achieve the same
    RB> objectives then I'm more than happy to throw my changes away.

Richard, on the face of it, your changes look like a reasonable
approach.  Note that some of the existing archiver stuff was updated
for 2.0b6 to add support for non-ASCII character sets.

Normal procedure for any patch of this type is to upload it to the
SourceForge patch manager for the Mailman project.  That's the only
way to guarantee your patches won't get buried in my inbox. ;}

Please try to port your changes to 2.0b6 first.  I doubt any of the
Pipermail stuff will change between now and 2.0 final.

Thanks,
-Barry