[Mailman-Developers] FYI -- problems with my new install...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:04:16 -0800

At 3:59 PM -0500 10/30/00, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>It shouldn't.  As soon as it enters main(), it does a listdir() of the
>qfiles dir.  Once it's processed everything it sees in that listing,
>it exits.  qrunner can exit sooner if a few kludgey resource
>management parameters are exceeded, but a single invocation of qrunner
>should never list the directory a second time.
>
>It /could/ be that if you've just got tons of messages in the queue
>and Mailman has a hard time keeping up, files that are unlucky enough
>to always show up at the end of the directory listing will never get
>processed.

Okay, interesting. it sure seemed like stuff was hanging out from run
to run, but the system was having a few issues at the time, so it
could have been erro related as well.

>If you see files that are never getting run, and you don't think
>you're seeing problem above, do a dumpdb of the corresponding .db
>file.  If you see a `pipeline' entry, say with SMTPDirect in the
>pipeline, chances are you're getting errors in that delivery module
>and Mailman's keeping it on the queue.  Check logs/smtp for details.

ah, that probably explains it. There were circumstances where the
SMTP host started rejecting due to load, and those probably cascaded.

That seems to open up mailman to duplicate deliveries, FWIW. I think
I ran into the same issue here Chris Kolar did...

Be just, and fear not.