[Mailman-Developers] FYI -- problems with my new install...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@wooz.org
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:59:58 -0500 (EST)

    CVR> first, it seems like qrunner re-stats the qfiles dir and
    CVR> reloads its idea of what needs to be run.

It shouldn't.  As soon as it enters main(), it does a listdir() of the
qfiles dir.  Once it's processed everything it sees in that listing,
it exits.  qrunner can exit sooner if a few kludgey resource
management parameters are exceeded, but a single invocation of qrunner
should never list the directory a second time.

It /could/ be that if you've just got tons of messages in the queue
and Mailman has a hard time keeping up, files that are unlucky enough
to always show up at the end of the directory listing will never get
processed.

    CVR> This creates a problem when you have lots of messages, since
    CVR> it's not processing things FIFO -- I found that some older
    CVR> messages were simply NEVER being run, because however qrunner
    CVR> was choosing messages out of qfiles, it wasn't choosing them.

If you see files that are never getting run, and you don't think
you're seeing problem above, do a dumpdb of the corresponding .db
file.  If you see a `pipeline' entry, say with SMTPDirect in the
pipeline, chances are you're getting errors in that delivery module
and Mailman's keeping it on the queue.  Check logs/smtp for details.

    CVR> second, qrunner isn't good at letting me know what it's
    CVR> doing.

A sin of much of the system currently.  I hope I can revamp and
improve the logging facility for 2.1.

-Barry