[Mailman-Developers] Security

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:31:29 -0700

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
Dan Mick <Dan.Mick@West.Sun.COM> wrote:

>> If I post to a specific list, or approve a held post for that
>> list, there is an 80% chance that this will crash the machine
>> (compleat lock, no interrupts, no useful log entries).

> What do you mean "crash the system"?  Panic and coredump?  Hang?
> Crash mailman/python and everything else is still up?

As stated: compleat lock, no interrupts being serviced, no log
entries.  Basically: utterly indistinguishable from a powered off
machine other than by power consumption.  No KB, no met, no stack,
no video (well, a slight grayish diffuse glow actually), nuttin'.

> If panic/coredump, some time spent in cursory kernel coredump
> analysis is warranted to point a finger at a culprit.  Being a
> kernel developer, I'm biased, but when people say "crash the
> machine" that's what I think of.  Is that what you mean?

Nope.  No panics, no cores, just one big wedgie.

These are among the reasons this whole thing fits the description of
"odd".

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder@kanga.nu