[Mailman-Developers] Towards 2.1

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:01:11 -0800

At 6:20 AM -0800 11/26/00, Brian Edmonds wrote:
>barry@digicool.com (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:
>>      - Plain text digests should conform to RFC 1153.
>
>Yes please.  Gnus supports 1153 digests, but doesn't recognize Mailman
>digests unless I switch to MIME format.

which -- if you're munging digests -- you should anyway, since that's
a big reaso FOR MIME digest format. Tehy're designed to be parseable.
But that doesn't ignore that digests need to be tweaked, but if
you're doing stuff to digests (like bursting), you should use MIME
digests any time tehy're available.

>I would like to be able to do this as more than just list admin.  I've
>got at least three different lists on my system that have an announce,
>regular and digest options.  The announce has separate subscribers and
>also goes immediately to all regular and digest subscribers.  Currently
>those lists are still running under Majordomo, as I have no idea how to
>make them do the same thing with Mailman.

The "easy" answer is to disable digests for announce lists. Since
they tend to be very low volume anyway, digest versions are generally
pretty useless.

>And in the case of one of the lists it's not even an announce list, just
>a "regular" address that anyone can post to for topically urgent items.

ditto here. It's pretty useless to read a digest of topical/timely
items, because the concept of digests is to hold it for later.
Defeats teh purpose, so turn them off.

The vet said it was behavioral, but I prefer to think of it as genetic.
It cuts down on the liability -- Get Fuzzy