[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:59:47 -0800

At 2:26 AM -0500 11/22/00, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

>This would have saved us weeksandweeksandweeks of development on the
>system we built that had Mailman as a critical component.
>
>Anything that is *using* Mailman as just-another-moving-part-among-many
>faces the memebership management problem and it is nasty,nasty,nasty.

If we end up doing the authentication widget, I want it to ship with
a set of modules and/or interfaces. That would include one that does
personal home pages, surveys, an interface to mailman, an interface
to a web forum, an LDAP interface of some sort for external directory
lookup and authentication purposes, and a few other toys.

With it and a few key tools, you can easily do 90% of Yahoo, minus
the big muther sets of data, but when it's done, you're very close to
a yahoo portal with clubs, IRC, egroups and some other tools all
rolled into a single cohesive beast -- and it'll scale, and it will
be extensible through a standard interface.

Assuming, of course, what I want to do works and I don't botch the
architecture...

(and what I find scary is I don't see *anything* that is technically
a huge stretch. it's all engineering, not magic...

The vet said it was behavioral, but I prefer to think of it as genetic.
It cuts down on the liability -- Get Fuzzy