[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

Bill Bumgarner bbum@codefab.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:26:26 -0500

Yum.

This would have saved us weeksandweeksandweeks of development on the
system we built that had Mailman as a critical component.

Anything that is *using* Mailman as just-another-moving-part-among-many
faces the memebership management problem and it is nasty,nasty,nasty.

b.bum

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> At 10:53 PM -0800 11/21/00, J C Lawrence wrote:
> >  > Authentication is a big bugaboo in general, which Barry and I have
> >>  hashed around a bit. More on that someday, maybe.
> >
> >FWLIW I see authentication visavis Mailman as a two level problem:
> >
> >   list activities (command confirmations)
> >   access control
>
> Okay, I hope Barry doesn't mind, but since the talk has started,
> here's something I sent him a while back that we've sat on to get 2.0
> out the door. But it's a first cut at my idea where some of this
> ought to go... When you see this, you'll start to really understand
> where I'm coming from in this whole API/module thing -- everything in
> the system is a module of some sort, that communicates via an API --
> which means that in theory, aynone can replace any piece of
> functionality by simply replacing the module. It also means that each
> module can be tracked and developed separately, since all it needs to
> worry about is conforming to the published API.
>
> The trick is going to be architecting the modules, interfaces and
> APIs, and deciding one which ones are central to mailman, which ones
> peripheral and which ones are optional. But when we're done, it
> doesn't matter if you use DB or a filesystem database model, as long
> as the glue inteface exists. And it doesn't matter if you use the
> current mailman subscription interface or download your data from a
> corporate database running Oracle and throw out the entire
> subscription system -- because Mailman no longer cares. So the whole
> archiving issue is a subset of a larger issue, which is defining and
> standardizing all of Mailman and breaking it up into pieces that meld
> into a cohesive whole.
>
> ---
> Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:30:28 -0700
> Subject: Re: Planning Mailman 2.1