[Mailman-Developers] Future of pipermail?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:41:32 -0500 (EST)

  GE> What are the current plans about the html archiver in mailman?

  GE> The major shortcomings of pipermail I see are:

           | - doesn't decode MIME
           | - doesn't handle mixed charsets
           | - no search engine
           | - somewhat convoluted code.

The last is the killer, because it makes the first three that much
harder to accomplish.  I tried some refactoring for the 2.0 release,
but I'm not convinced there is much worth saving.

  BAW> Anyway, yes, we'd like to rewrite the archiver from the ground
  BAW> up, but nobody's working on that yet.  I suspect either Jeremy
  BAW> or I will tackle it at some point.

It's not near the top of my priorities at the moment, but I would like
to work on a new archiver.  Perhaps we should start sketching some
design issues in Barry's Mailman wiki.

I would also like to see separation of the presentation part of the
archive from the code, so that it is easier to customize the
presentation.

Jeremy