[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Reverting question

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:57:21 -0800

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:34:41 -0800
Marc MERLIN <marc_news@valinux.com> wrote:

> Ok, more seriously, the only downside of group replies is that for
> MUAs that don't support list-reply, like mutt does, the sender
> gets two copies of the answer (which are easy to get rid off by
> removing duplicate messages that contain the same message id)

On *-ix platforms which have procmail/formail.  Windows, MacOS, and
BeOS users, to name but a few, have slightly more difficulty on this
area.  Sad, but true.

>> http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

> Yeah, except that the author is full of shit.

Key points:

  This argument is a FAQ

  I've yet to see a single case where someone has been persuaded by
  the arguments of the other side once the argument has begun.

Now, can we get on with some more productive discussions, like how
vi users are scum-sucking brainless cretins and emacs users are the
obviously intelligent few who can see and use true brilliance?

> I do think that mailman should offer a reply-to option, but with a
> very big disclaimer and maybe this discussion (or another one) so
> that inexperienced listmasters realize what they're doing.

I note that this is already done.

> Microsoft is to operating systems & security

Now, about them silly sendmail users...

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder@kanga.nu