[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:03:05 -0700

At 3:52 PM +0100 5/24/2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

>If we do split the list, then ideally it should be sorted.... at least
>so identical domains go together and maybe more intelligently than
>that.... and we're back to trying to second guess the MTA at its own
>job.

If you VERP, so you have one piece of email per subscriber per
message, you stop trying to outguess the MTA, since it can look at
everything and decide a delivery strategy (although even then, you
can affect the MTA by what order you submit messages). When you start
chunking things together, you start limiting the MTA's ability to
optimize, so you have to get smarter.

Sorting by domain is better than no sorting, but sorting by MX is
preferable -- but non-trivial and time-expensive. You basically get
back into becoming an MTA again, so it's probably better to go with a
domain sort and VERP, and just make sure you're configured to feed
the MTA fast enough to keep it busy without overloading it.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"