[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 24 May 2000 13:36:08 +0200

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 12:47:12PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> However, I'm at a slight disadvantage right now with my development
> environment.  What I think would help would be for some of you to
> `donate' large blocks of fake addresses, which I could subscribe to
> email lists of varying sizes.  I'd like to create lists of 1k, 10k,
> 100k, 250k, 500k, and 1M recipients.  Do you think between us we can
> gather 1M fake recipients for a test list?

Well, I'm not sure what number we could easily accomodate, it kind of
depends on howmuch mail you want to send there, but I think we can manage
something around 100, 200k, at least. Or perhaps I can do even better, setup
a dedicated box for this testing and let you swamp away as much as you want
-- at worst you'll get timeout warnings, but I suspect you'd want to test
those too, anyway :-) The uplink is not the problem, it's solely the load of
the machine that might be. We use three different incoming mailservers, for
all our customers, so I'm a bit worried those mailman tests would take them
out of commision if let run rampant ;-)

I can find an unused box and set it up for this sometime next week... (I'm
currently at the SANE2000 conference, sharing a single 64kbit line with
30-some other system administrators... 45 second pingtimes do not create
ideal working circumstances, let me tell you :-)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>