[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

J C Lawrence claw@cp.net
Tue, 23 May 2000 17:07:53 -0700

On Wed, 24 May 2000 08:52:50 +0900
Peter Evans <peter@gol.com> wrote:

> J C Lawrence (claw@cp.net) wrote:

>> I'll provisionally offer, ohh, two blocks, one of 5K addresses
>> and another of 1K.  Setup for the addresses will be as aliases
>> piping directly to /dev/null.

> @some.dom.ain /dev/null

> any number of addresses, almost instantly, postfix and sendmail
> have this functionality.

Yeah, I know.  The numbers above are just wild-arse-guesses as to
the resources I want to commit, both in local system and bandwidth,
and relying on Barry's sense of fair play in not abusing the
donation (I have other things I use both boxes and their bandwidth
for that I want to keep on doing).

> of course, you have to be careful to balance the bits in your mail
> or /dev/null could become charged with too many 1's.

If you have an older SunOS box you don't cre about try this:

  $ /dev/zero | /dev/null

The kernel would realise that the pipe never needed to enter user
space and would optimise it totally into kernel space, removing it
from being a proper schedulable entry.  Voila!  Instant dead system.

--
J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder@kanga.nu