[Mailman-Developers] wrong list info in header (b1)

Christopher Kolar ckolar@admin.aurora.edu
Fri, 05 May 2000 08:56:01 -0500

Hello everyone.  I am running 2.0 b1 on a server that has been through all
of the upgrades since 1b6.  I was looking at my mail queue this morning and
I noticed something odd about some of the notes sent out with the monthly
reminder.  I have actually noticed this in other months previous, but never
got around to reporting it.

It appears that the header info on the monthly reminder reflects that the
traffic is originating from a single list on the server that the person is
not subscribed to.  Actually, the list chi-ptech is a small defunct list,
but even my large mail lists have this information in their monthly
header.  Here is a sample that I snagged from my queue

>$snorthfield.aocn.aurora.edu
>$_IDENT:mailman@northfield.aocn.aurora.edu [192.203.224.101]
>S<chi-ptech-admin@aocn.aurora.edu>
>RPFD:<ceo@blackberrycomputers.com>
>H?P?Return-Path: <chi-ptech-admin@aocn.aurora.edu>
>HReceived: from northfield.aocn.aurora.edu
>(IDENT:mailman@northfield.aocn.aurora.
>edu [192.203.224.101])
>         by northfield.aocn.aurora.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id FAA06641
>         for <ceo@blackberrycomputers.com>; Mon, 1 May 2000 05:02:39 -0500
>H?D?Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 05:02:39 -0500
>H?M?Message-Id: <200005011002.FAA06641@northfield.aocn.aurora.edu>
>HSubject: aocn.aurora.edu mailing list memberships reminder
>HFrom: mailman-owner@aocn.aurora.edu
>HTo: ceo@blackberrycomputers.com
>HX-No-Archive: yes
>HSender: chi-ptech-admin@aocn.aurora.edu
>HErrors-To: chi-ptech-admin@aocn.aurora.edu
>HX-BeenThere: chi-ptech@aocn.aurora.edu
>HX-Mailman-Version: 2.0beta1
>HPrecedence: bulk
>HList-Id: List for discussion of technology in Chicago-area parochial
>schools. <c
>hi-ptech.aocn.aurora.edu>
>.

This person is not a member of chi-ptech, but is a member of a list called
gacc-tech.  The body of the message reflects the actual list membership,
but I am confused as to why the header and errors-to info is set to the
other list.  As I said, this is true for all users for all of my lists.  Is
the point that the monthly reminder all originates from a legitimate admin
address that is picked in some arbitrary way?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been covered before.

--chris