[Mailman-Developers] Betas coming soon

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:41:06 -0500

--=====================_106735433==_.ALT

At 02:22 PM 3/21/00 -0500, you wrote:

>     RJ> Upgraded my test machine, which was running a month or two ago
>     RJ> cvs snapshot, and so far things are ok.  Except for gateing
>     RJ> *to* a list, but someone already caught that.
>
>Right.  That change should have been checked in by now, so doing a cvs
>update should get you the fix to Mailman/Handlers/ToUsenet.py

Will do.

Oh, also (which you may have fixed in this latest round of checkins, I haven't
grabbed today's yet) the cron Makefile still wanted to install run_queue.

>     RJ> Note that the images aren't in the cvs repository yet.
>
>The should be!  Take a look at
>
>     http://cvs.python.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mailman/misc/

Ah.. mailman/misc... I found mailman.jpg and dragonlogo.jpg in admin/www/images
(which seemed a reasonably place for them), but not the others.  Because having found
some there, I didn't look in misc...

>and you should find PythonPowered.png, gnu-head-tiny.jpg, and
>mailman.jpg which are the three logos.
>
>     RJ> (Is the python image really a PNG?  Yuck.)
>
>Why yuck?  My dilemma was this: PythonPowered.gif is purposefully
>transparent around the edges of the oval, but we can't use gifs

As the character on Saturday Night Live would say.  "Oh.  Never mind."

I knew earlier netscapes didn't do pngs.  At some point when I installed Plugger
into my solaris netscape it picked up PNGs.  But handed them to an image program
that couldn't display them.  I'd seen that my attempts to do some PNG graphs (using
a PNG converted GIFgraph, since GD doesn't do gifs) failed miserably... Apparently
inline PNGs however, quite transparently to me, were working fine...  I just went through
and deleted all the variants of the mime type and the external handler, and lo and behold,
pngs display right now.  Go figure.

>because Mailman is Gnu.  I'd have preferred jpegs for consistency, but
>I couldn't figure out how to make the transparency work (I don't think
>jpeg supports transparencies).

No, they don't.  Shame, really.  If they did animation and transparancies, there'd
mostly only be one format out there now.

--=====================_106735433==_.ALT

Jarrell &lt;jarrell@vt.edu&gt; writes:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RJ&gt; Upgraded my test machine, which was running a
month or two ago<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RJ&gt; cvs snapshot, and so far things are ok.&nbsp;
Except for gateing<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RJ&gt; *to* a list, but someone already caught
that.<br>
Right.&nbsp; That change should have been checked in by now, so doing a
cvs<br>
update should get you the fix to
Will do.&nbsp; <br>
Oh, also (which you may have fixed in this latest round of checkins, I
haven't<br>
grabbed today's yet) the cron Makefile still wanted to install
run_queue.<br>
that the images aren't in the cvs repository yet.<br>
The should be!&nbsp; Take a look at<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Ah.. mailman/misc... I found mailman.jpg and dragonlogo.jpg in
admin/www/images<br>
(which seemed a reasonably place for them), but not the others.&nbsp;
Because having found<br>
some there, I didn't look in misc...<br>
PythonPowered.png, gnu-head-tiny.jpg, and<br>
mailman.jpg which are the three logos.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RJ&gt; (Is the python image really a PNG?&nbsp;
Yuck.)<br>
Why yuck?&nbsp; My dilemma was this: PythonPowered.gif is
purposefully<br>
transparent around the edges of the oval, but we can't use
As the character on Saturday Night Live would say.&nbsp; &quot;Oh.&nbsp;
Never mind.&quot;<br>
I knew earlier netscapes didn't do pngs.&nbsp; At some point when I
installed Plugger<br>
into my solaris netscape it picked up PNGs.&nbsp; But handed them to an
image program<br>
that couldn't display them.&nbsp; I'd seen that my attempts to do some
PNG graphs (using<br>
a PNG converted GIFgraph, since GD doesn't do gifs) failed miserably...
Apparently<br>
inline PNGs however, quite transparently to me, were working
fine...&nbsp; I just went through<br>
and deleted all the variants of the mime type and the external handler,
and lo and behold,<br>
pngs display right now.&nbsp; Go figure.<br>
have preferred jpegs for consistency, but<br>
I couldn't figure out how to make the transparency work (I don't
think<br>
No, they don't.&nbsp; Shame, really.&nbsp; If they did animation and
transparancies, there'd<br>
mostly only be one format out there now.<br>